Science & Technology Studies
Please apply here.
The Graduate Program in Science and Technology Studies offers advanced training leading to MA and PhD degrees. Drawing upon the demonstrated expertise of a wide range of faculty across the University, the Program provides highly qualified students with a unique opportunity to do specialized academic work in Science and Technology Studies (STS). Research in STS applies the methods and theories of the social sciences, humanities, and cultural studies to contemporary and historical examinations of scientific knowledge and governance, technological change and constroversies, and innovation policy and political economy.
- York STS is the first program of its kind in Canada, offering both MA and PhD degrees in STS.
- Because of its multidisciplinary approach, STS is particularly well positioned to provide analytically- and critically-informed insight into complex questions regarding science, technology, innovation, health, engineering, biotechnology, intellectual property, expertise, ethics, environmental politics, computing and communication, and the public understanding of science.
- An MA degree in STS from York is extremely versatile and is a fitting background for careers in education, policy, business, law, and medicine. A PhD prepares you for an academic and research specialty that is growing in Canada and abroad, or for a career that requires insight into the complexities of scientific and technological societies and economies.
- Our faculty members are well-known worldwide for their research and scholarship, regularly publishing in leading international STS journals - like Science, Technology, & Human Values, Social Studies of Science, Science as Culture, Isis, Prometheus, etc. - as well as other, related leading international journals - like Science, Body & Society, Social Science & Medicine, Sociology of Health & Illness, etc.
- Our faculty regularly publish books with international presses like MIT Press, Duke University Press, University of Chicago Press, Oxford University Press, etc.
- Our faculty are or have been editors and editorial board members on prominent STS journals like Science, Technology, & Human Values, Social Studies of Science, Science as Culture, Isis, Scientia Canadensis, Canadian Bulletin of Medical History, Catalyst: Feminism, Theory, Technoscience, etc.
- Our faculty currently play leading roles, or have done so in the past, in learned societies like the Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S), History of Science Society, Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (CSHPS), etc.
- For over 20 years, the STS community at York has hosted a colloquium at which leading Canadian and international scholars regularly present their research and engage in lively discussion with the audience.
- The STS Graduate Students Association (STSGSA) is a vibrant student organization that organizes and hosts a Spring Conference, a working paper series, and regular social events.
Connect with York University