Transition Year Program (TYP) at York University

Ready for a unique opportunity?

The Transition Year Program* (TYP) at York University is a special access program for youth (19+) and adults who are passionate about attending university. TYP@York provides an opportunity to transition to university for those that have previously experienced social and financial barriers to accessing the formal education system.

1. Write your personal statement

We want to understand your personal situation and what has led you to our program. In this way, we can better determine whether this program is right for you. You must type or handwrite a statement to tell us about yourself. Personal statements are typically 1-2 pages in length. Include the following:

  1. your current life situation;
  2. why you want to study at university;
  3. the educational, social, financial and/or personal difficulties that may have acted as barriers to your qualifying for entry to university in the usual way;
  4. what has prompted you to consider university at this time;
  5. the skills you bring; and
  6. your career interests and how they will be enhanced by a university education.

2. Obtain two reference letters

Consider who knows you well and can best speak to your personality, skills, and preparedness for an academic program like TYP (preferably other than a relative). Examples of suitable referees might include a counsellor, teacher, member of a community organization, coach, or religious leader. Each letter should help us to understand what skills and qualities you have that will help you to succeed at university.

Cover pages for reference letters are included in the application form. Provide a cover page to each of your referees. Ask your referees to write a reference letter on your behalf.

Reference letters can be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by your referee or placed in a sealed envelope and submitted with your application.

3. Request school transcript(s), if applicable

Although your previous record in education is not a criterion for admission to this program, we require an official transcript from your high school (normally having completed some grade 11) and from any postsecondary educational institution that you have attended. If a transcript is unavailable, please include a note telling us why.

How to obtain your high-school transcript
There may be a small charge to order a copy of your high school or postsecondary transcript. For privacy reasons, the request for a transcript must come from you. Contact or visit the school directly for further information. The school is required by law to ask for proof of who you are (e.g. birth certificate, driver’s license) before providing a copy of your transcript. Ask them to place your transcript in a sealed envelope and then attach this envelope to your TYP application.

4. Complete and submit the application form

This form provides us with your personal information, educational background (in brief), employment history, the names of your references and contact information. You are encouraged to include any additional information that you believe will strengthen your application.

Proof of Status
Applicants who are non-citizen Permanent Residents of Canada or Convention Refugees will be required to submit proof of status from the Canadian government before being eligible to participate in this program.

Submit your application to:
Office of Admissions
(Transition Year Program)
Bennett Centre for Student Services (third floor)
York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, On M3J 1P3

The deadline to apply is May 1.

What happens after you apply

The TYP Admission Committee reviews your application and considers how well you meet all the eligibility criteria including assessing your commitment to a university education. You will receive a letter with the admission decision in mid-June.

As there are a limited number of spaces, you may not be admitted to the program at this time. However, we will retain your application and encourage you to update your information in time for the next admission cycle and/or recommend other program opportunities that may be more suitable for you.

Financial Assistance

The Transition Year Program does offer some financial support, but students are expected to apply for OSAP financial assistance. If you have previously applied for OSAP, it must be in good standing. We will host information sessions for you to learn how to apply for and receive financial support. You may also apply for OSAP directly.