East Asian Studies
Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
About East Asian Studies
Participate in the Canada-Taiwan exchange program sponsored by the Department of Human Resources Development Canada.
China, Japan and Korea — seats of ancient civilizations and modern societies of immense global significance — form the basis of this program. Bridging East Asia's dynamic modern milieu and its rich history, you will gain an appreciation of the importance of Chinese, Japanese and Korean language, literature and fine arts and the political, economic and social impact of these nations.
New courses are being developed that deal with the areas of Southeast Asia that maintain close cultural ties with East Asia. Course offerings include:
- Culture and Society in East Asia
- East Asia: Tradition and Defiance
- Japanese Culture, Literature and Film
- Asian Art: Zen Painting and Poetry
East Asian Studies will prepare you for a career in the foreign services or in languages. Further studies may lead to a career within a multinational corporation or as a university professor.
- Participate in the Canada-Taiwan exchange program sponsored by the Department of Human Resources Development Canada.
- Peruse the extensive resource material in the Jerome Ch'en Resource Centre for East Asian Studies, home of more than 10,000 works of literature, history, philosophy and poetry.
- Take advantage of The Multimedia Language Centre (MLC) of York University, a resource centre dedicated to supporting students who are enrolled in language, literature and linguistics programs.
- Participate in research and gain valuable experience with the York Centre for Asian Research.
- Learn from our widely respected faculty, which includes Joshua Fogel, Canada Research Chair in the History of Modern China.
Possible Career Paths
Activist, ambassador, author, charity coordinator, community centre director
Contact us at email@example.com