Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
Graduates of the ITEC program are uniquely positioned to plan, design, build and administer information systems.
Information technology deals with information and its use in organizations and society. York's Information Technology (ITEC) programs provide you with the educational background to pursue an exciting career in the application of computers to a variety of tasks faced by organizations today.
Unlike traditional computer science and engineering programs, which focus on developing broad computing skills, ITEC focuses on applications of software and information technologies and how they can be systematically designed and developed to meet critical business and organizational problems.
This way, ITEC prepares you to become a versatile Information Technology professional who possesses a strongly developed intuition about business, organizational and societal needs, and combines it with robust technical and methodological skills to analyze, design, implement, customize and manage information technologies to fulfill those needs.
The following Bachelor programs are offered by ITEC:
- Bachelor of Arts – Information Technology, with a strong technical orientation.
- Bachelor of Commerce – Information Technology, which adds more business depth.
Bachelor of Arts – Information Technology
The BA in Information Technology aims at offering its students the necessary technical skills for developing and managing IT solutions for organizations, while also learning how to systematically organize such development and management efforts.
Through courses in computer programming, database systems, data analytics, user interfaces and web development, you will learn how to analyze, design, develop and maintain information systems. In parallel, courses such as systems analysis and design, IT project management, requirements management, and IT risk management, will teach you how professionals work together to bring information systems to life in order to fulfill complex business needs.
Bachelor of Commerce – Information Technology
The BCom - ITEC ensures that in addition to essential technical and methodological skills, graduates have a deeper and broader understanding of business and commerce. Thus, courses on accounting, marketing, organization behaviour, enterprise resource planning and strategy are added to the list of courses.
Students in our BCom - ITEC program will pursue specializations in:
- Business Systems Analysis: will prepare you for a career as an information technology analyst, systems analyst or information technology consultant.
- E-Commerce Development: gives you the technical knowledge required for the design and development of consumer and business-to-business electronic commerce systems.
- Information Technology Auditing & Assurance: responds to the growing demand for information system audit, control and security professionals. This stream was developed in close consultation with the Information Systems Audit and Control Association and will be of interest to students seeking the certified Information Systems Auditor designation.
Our graduates lead successful careers in a wide variety of roles in the IT world. Many of them work as Business Analysts, IT Managers, IT Consultants or Project Managers. Others follow strongly technical careers as Software Developers, Web Developers, Software Architects and Technical Consultants.
Whatever your goal, the ITEC programs will allow you to explore a mix of technical, methodological and business education that matches your talent and inclinations, allowing you to find your unique position in the IT world as a capable, adaptable and versatile IT professional.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org